Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring Break 2009


Kevin and I took another Law School visit trip over spring break. This time our trip was to see Notre Dame, Indiana University, and Michigan State. We had a blast looking at the schools, did a lot of driving, and even got to spend the weekend in Nauvoo. We learned a lot about the schools, and where we want to apply. We loved Notre Dame the best. Especially because they have a program where you can spend your entire second year in London studying! If we end up going there we will for sure be doing that. We also really liked Michigan, but we did not like Indiana. Out of the three Notre Dame was our favorite. I cant believe how close law school is coming. Kevin is going to be sending in all his applications this October. It is going to be fun to see where we end up going, but I think it will also be a bit nerve racking! Here are some pictures of our trip. On our first night, we explored downtown Chicago. We ended up going to a place called Navy Pier, its a fun place that is on lake Michigan. They had a lot of fun stores and restaurants. It was windy, so we felt like we had a good taste of what Chicago is all about!Our first stop was Notre Dame. WE LOVED IT!!! We sad in on a class, had an appointment to talk to an admissions advisor, had a tour of the law building, and then had a tour of the entire campus. The school is a catholic school, and had a beautiful cathedral. We also got to see the famous touchdown Jesus. We got to spend the weekend in Nauvoo. Neither of us had ever been there before, and we were so excited to be able to spend a few days there. We took two hay rides to see the sights and hear stories about the saints that lived in Nauvoo. It was a major testimony builder for both of us. It was amazing to be there, and feel the spirits of the saints that sacrificed so much for us to have the gospel. We also got to do a session at the Temple. I love going to the Temple. Nothing really compares to how you feel when you are there.View of the Joseph Smith and Hyrum Smith statue looking at the Temple. Statue of Joseph and Hyrum at Carthage jail.This is my favorite picture that we got of the Temple. It was taken during a lightning storm at close to midnight. Kevin got this picture right as lighting struck and lit up the sky. One of the first stones that were used in the original Nauvoo Temple that the saints built. Other stones that were saved from the temple are displayed at the Smithsonian. This is my favorite picture of us, with the Temple in the background.Kevin in front of Carthage Jail.
gravesite of Joseph, Hyrum, and Emma SmithAfter Nauvoo, our next stop was Bloomington Indiana to check out Indiana University. Again we sat in on a class, had a tour of the Law building, and an appointment with an admissions advisor. We really did not like this school very much. So we didn't take many pictures or do much. We did go to a local Restaurant calls "Nicks English House". Of course the title made us want to go there, so these are the only two pictures we took while in Bloomington, they are at Nicks English House.

We were meant to drive from Bloomington to Minneapolis to check out another school, the University of Minnesota, but a blizzard hit that part of the country, and we did not want to brave the weather. So it turned out pretty good, because the Jazz were playing the Pacers in Indianapolis, so we drove there instead and went to the game.

Our last school was Michigan. This school was also incredible. The above picture is of their study room. It reminded us of the dining hall in the Harry Potter movies. It was incredible. The entire school is set up like this. Again we sat in on a class, had a tour, and had a visit with an admissions counselor. We loved the school, but left still feeling like Notre Dame was our favorite of all three that we were able to get to 0n this trip. My great uncle Bud lives in Chicago, so on our way back to Chicago to fly home, we stayed with him the last night. Kevin actually ended up staying two nights with him because he was not able to get a flight out the same day that I did, (we fly standby). It was fun to get to know my uncle more. Before this we had only met him once. He is a great man, and told us lots of fun stories about my family.
We really had a great time! I just have to say how much I love my husband!!!!!! I am so proud of him for how great he has done getting is degree, and I am so excited for him to have the experience of going to law school. I know that he is going to do great. I love being with him, we drove though six states, and spent about 35 hours total in the car, and for most of the drive we just talked and laughed. He makes me laugh so hard that I usually start to cry! I just love being with such a wonderful man. I cant wait to see where we end up going, and what three years of law school is going to bring us!

9 comments:

Shankar said...

I enjoyed my time at Notre Dame...other than the actual studying part. I was in the wrong programme to really benefit from being in that school. Incidentally, I have a friend who is going to do summer school in London through Notre Dame, and he and his wife are pretty excited about that, too.

Mandi said...

How dang fun. I love that you guys have the chance to visit all these schools. I LOVE the pic of the temple.

Julie said...

What a great trip! You know I'm going to have to root for Notre Dame because of the England year of study...sounds wonderful!!

The Clark Family said...

Your trip looks like it was so much fun! I love adventures and am glad you guys like to go on them too! Can't wait to see where you two end up!

Clarissa Earl said...

Man...looks like the trip was stupendous...good thing you have a fabulous cousin who took care of Tara and the house while you were away:-) The pictures are awesome! I can't wait to see what school you actually end up going to.

Mimaw said...

Wow, you guys ROCK, I hope you go to Notre Dame, spend your 2nd year in London, get an apartment in London with a spare room and Boyd and I can come and visit and stay!!!!

BTW this is Patti

tiffany said...

I'm so glad you had a fun trip!! YEAH! Cute pictures you took on ur trip.

Britt said...

Yay, I'm so glad you found me! First of all...what kind of a question is "do you remember me?" Anyone who knows you is bound NOT to forget you. You're just one of those people not to be forgotten. Secondly...congrats on being married, um 3 years late. I never knew. Looks like you've got yourself a great guy! Thirdly...law school! Been there, done that...good luck. lol! That is so great that you get to go check out all the places you're interested in. Niel has been an official lawyer for a few months now. He LOVED his experience at Creighton in Omaha NE.(also a Catholic School) I LOVED living in Omaha too. We actually looked for work there but found nothing so we came back to Utah to be closer to family and now he's got a good job. Love the Harry Potter room...how would it feel to study in there? Good luck with the application process!
http://culaw2.creighton.edu/ (If you're at all interested...we won't be offended if you're not.)

Britt said...

Hey...can I just have your email and then it will be so much easier to communicate without leaving super long posts on your blog? Mine is brittany.lund@gmail.com!