Wednesday, November 24, 2010

SEATTLE

 One of our favorite places to go is to Seattle Washington. Kevin's Mom was from Seattle and he grew up going to Seattle for pretty much every family vacation. He is very close with his family that still live there, and we have tried to get there once a year for a visit. This is a HUGE post, and I should have done it a long time ago, and in sections, but since I procrastinated here it is all at once!
 We got some amazing pictures of wildlife while we were visiting Kevin's Aunt Suzanne and Uncle Rob on San Juan Island. There is plenty to wildlife to watch while there!



 There seriously is nothing more amazing that seeing wildlife, esspecially wildlife that is truly rare to witness. We were spoiled with Bald Eagles. I have only actually seen bald eagles this close up once a long time ago when I went to Alaska with my family. They truly are amazing birds, and give me pride in my country when I am able to see one in the wild.




 My favorite animal is Whales. I love them, and I think that it is a very spiritual experience to see Whales in the wild. Suzanne and Rob took us out on their boat to watch wales, and after a little searching we were able to find a pod! Kevin was taking loads of pictures and finally his Uncle Rob told him to stop and just enjoy the experience!





 Kevin's Aunt Suzanne is one of the most incredible women that I have ever met. She is someone that I want to emulate in my own life. She is full of life and truly loves those around her. She has had an incredible life and has really been good to Kevin and his siblings.

 My pictures are a little out of order, but this one is from a Seattle Mariners game that we went too at the end of this trip. We were able to go to two games while on our trip. Seattle won once, but lost the second game.


 We decided to drive to Seattle this year instead of fly, and it was a fun drive. On our way we stopped at Boehm's Candy which is a place that Kevin's mother loved to stop when his family would drive there growing up. The candy is really really good! And it has a Swiss theme, which is my favorite. We had fun stopping there for a break in the drive and Kevin got some of his favorite candy.





 On our drive into Seattle we went straight to the Mariners game. It was the perfect way to end a long drive!



 Somewhere that we always have to go when in Seattle is Ivars fish bar right on the Ocean. They have the BEST clam chowder you will ever taste. There are Ivars all over Seattle, but the one right in the city on the ocean is our favorite. You sit outside and, the seagulls get to have lunch too!

 We always have to go to Pike's Place Market. It's such a fun place, with interesting shops and food. On our trip there this year we ran into John Stockton!!!  We recognized him and we went up to him to tell him that we are big Jazz fans, and we were going to ask for  his picture, but it was obvious that he wasn't really wanting his picture taken. It was neat to be able to see him though, and we got a quick shot of him as we were walking away.


 Suzanne and Rob took us crabbing one day. It took the whole day to go out and find a place to drop our crab pots and wait to see if we got any crab that we could take home and have for dinner. The crab can only be male and have to be a certain size in order to legally take them from the ocean.






 A few of the unlucky crab that found their way into our pots.


 We were lucky enough to catch exactly 4 crab one for each of us! Then we took them back to Rob and Suzanne's and boiled them alive for dinner!

 Kevin playing with his food.


 Our 4 boiled crab's.
 After they were boiled we had to clean out all their insides. Suzanne showed me how to do it, and it was sort of fun to clean them out, really messy, but kind of fun at the same time.

 Here they all completely cooked, cleaned and torn apart.
 On San Juan Island they have a little whale museum, since they are my favorite I wanted to check it out. This is the only picture I took at the museum, it's me inside the ribcage of a whale.


 This sea lion is named Popeye. She is missing one eye, and hangs out here to get food from tourists. Suzanne told me that they think that she has a pup that she takes food back too. She has been doing this for many years.



 One day on the Island we went to a lighthouse to explore and watch for whales from the shore. I found this Star Fish in a little puddle on the rocks.



 We didnt see any whales while waiting at the lighthouse, but it was later that evening what Rob and Suzanne took us to watch for whales on the water and so we weren't too disappointed.

 One of the highlights of our trip was that Rob and Suzanne took us out on their sail boat!!!! Kevin had been on it before a long time ago, but I have never been on a sail boat before.



 This picture is of me with their dog Armani

 Again my pictures are a little out of order, so here we are back to our crab dinner. This was our finished dinner sooooooo yummy!!!!!!

 We ate our plates clean
 And this is all that was left of the Crab when we were done with them.
 One day we hiked to the highest point of the Island, and this is the view. I always wonder when I have a chance to see how beautiful this world is, how people can ever doubt that there is a God. How else could there be places as beautiful as this?





 This is me in front of a lavender farm on the Island.
 Again, my pictures are really out of order! But here are the rest of our day out sailing. Rob taught Kevin how to Sail. Kev said it was a little nerve racking, but he loved it. Rob and Suzanne met while sailing, and they have raced many times on this boat. Even racing all the way to Hawaii! They are literally professional sailors!

 The boats name is Coruba







 Rob was a very good instructor. Kev had a lesson from the best!
 This is Rob and Suzanne's friend Waka. He is from New Zealand, so is Kevin's Uncle Rob. He pitched in to help Kevin learn the robes.


 This is me in the living part of the boat. It has everything you would need to live on it. When Rob and Suzanne raced to Hawaii, they were on the water for 2 weeks.

 Suzanne was hoisted up to take down the sail. I thought it looked like a lot of fun! Did I mention that I think she is amazing?
 This is Roach Harbour where the sail boat is stored. If you ever have a chance to go to San Juan Island I would recommend it, it is one of the most incredible places on this earth.


 We went to another baseball game with Larry and Clarissa, Kevin's cousins. We spent a few days staying with them as well, and went to see "Despicable Me", went to a minor league baseball game of the Aquasocks, and just chilled with a great family. I am mad that I didn't take many pictures with them! 




I cant wait until we get back to Seattle again. It's a place that I could spend all my vacations at just like Kevin's family did growing up.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Great pictures guys! I especially love the ones of the eagles. Love you!

Britt said...

Wow, awesome pictures!