Saturday, March 1, 2008

Weight Loss Journey

I have been wanting to shed some pounds for a long time, but have not been consistant with my efforts. I have joined weight watchers three times, and everytime I go back I have gained a few pounds! This third time that I have joined though, I have really been sticking to it, and I am pretty happy with myself. Next week will be 16 weeks that I have been going regurlary, and at weight watchers when you hit the 16 week mark, they give you a reward for sticking to it!
Anyway, usually I am pretty shy about announcing to the world that I know that I am chubby and need to lose the weight, but now I am starting to feel like it is crunch time for me, and everthing that I read about successful weight loss says that you should find support people, and report your progress to others, so I am now going to start reporting on my progress.
Even before we got married I wanted to lose some weight, but I really gained most of the weight a few months after we got married. I gained a few pounds on our honeymoon, and then most of the weight came on after I was in the hospital with my blood clots. I got depressed and down on myself during that time, and really just lost control of my eating habits.
Well, right before christmas last year I went to the doctor and had a check up. Just a routine physical, but of course the doctor told me that I needed to lose some weight for my health. A few months before that, I started to have gall bladder attacks; which I am convinced have come because of my weight. The doctor also stressed that I needed to be careful because of my blood clots, being overweight just adds to the problem.
When I went home I decided to do some research on my blood condition. I found that not only having factor V leiden increased my blood clotting chances, but having already been in the hospital for blood clots, being overweight, and being pregnant are all increased factors for blood clots. Well, right now I am three out of four of those risk factors. So basically the doctor also told me that before I should start trying to have kids, I needed to get down to a healthier weight.
So like I said before I have been going to weight watchers for almost 16 weeks, a friend of mine from high school had a lot of success at weight watchers, and my sister has almost lost 50 pounds at weight watchers, so I felt like that is what would work for me. So far, I am down 15.4 pounds. So that is an average of one pound a week, which I am happy with because that is healthy weight loss. The last two weeks havent been the greatest with a little bit of a gain, but I am on it, and I know that I have the motivation to get this weight off of me!!!
This week at weight watchers my leader talked again about reporting your success, and being accountable about your weight loss. Since I know that those who read my blog are interested about my life, I think that you all would be a great support group. I think that I might even put a before picture up on here, I have a great one. I call it my "sweaty miss piggy picture", because it is right after I ran in a race, and I really do look like miss piggy. It's pretty bad, so it gives me A LOT of motivation!!
I go to my meetings on friday afternoons, so each week I think that I will report on the blog about my successes, and give any tips that I pick up along the way! So wish me luck, I am off to the gym!!

8 comments:

Post-it Notes said...

15.4 pounds is awesome!! I think blogging about it keeps you more accountable. Good Luck with your weight loss journey. We are in this together!!

Gasik Clan said...

Keep it up Jamie!!

Anna Heywood said...

Good for you!!! I didn't know you were doing Weight Watchers again. I think that is a great program! You are such an inspiration of striving for health in all that you do. Thanks for sharing your progress. It helps make all us motivated in the process! Thanks!

Stacy Hart said...

i actually thought you looked great when i saw you at christmas, but i completely support you! i absolutely believe that if you take good care of your body it will take good care of you! thanks for sharing and good luck!

Holly and Rhett said...

Jamie that is great, congrats!!

Julie said...

15 pounds is so great! I did weight watchers online once and it was so hard because I didn't have the accountability factor...that is what really motivates you!! Your blog and meetings will really help.

Contact: Ashley Mills said...

Jamie you are awesome! Great job-15pounds is a great achievement! Every time I see you I think you look like you are losing weight..keep up the great work!

The Clark Family said...

Great job Jamie! All your hard work will pay off and it's cool to see the results as you go along! Keep it up!